Friday, January 9, 2015

Making it a Successful New Year

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

It's been a little while since I last posted, but that is because things have been so amazingly busy.  I want to start by thanking you, my readers, whether you are my current student or parents of or you just follow along to see where this crazy journey takes us - thank you.  You guys are my outlet for bouncing ideas and sharing the excitement of my students.  There are only so many times I can tell them that I am proud of them, but man am I proud.  I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and I wish you and your families a healthy and Happy New Year.  

As I said in the beginning things have been busy.  We started the show season here in Ohio Thanksgiving weekend and the kids came out swinging.  My littlest showmen met all her goals by say attached to both her heifers in both rings and even in showmanship.  Brooklynn is not new to the show ring in fact at 8 she has been showing with some assistance for four years, but going out the first time alone and conquering two heifers that were less desirably behaving when you way less than a bag of feed is a big win in our book! Avery, my jokester of the bunch.  What an amazing kid he's smart, he works hard, he's funny, and you couldn't get him fired up if you paid him.  He was around the team last year and showed a heifer a couple of times, but this year he has his own heifer to show and is doing great.  He has some obstacles to overcome, but which one of us hasn't in life. We are very excited to have Avery with us this year and look forward to watch him continue to get better. Olivia, this is her second year with me, she was my stand out most improved last year and did awesome. For those of you that have been around this a long time you understand what I mean when I say Olivia has been battling a wall this year, especially in showmanship.  She has two heifers that have each been challenging in their own way, as well as making a jump in showmanship divisions. She is on the edge of making the big break, I know she doesn't believe me but she is right there. Next there is my Abby, she came to us last year and had a slow start, but closed out with a pretty awesome season.  She started this year with a bang. I am so proud of her and Olivia, they are the leaders of the group they help with the younger kids and set great examples for them.  Jake, is another one that made huge improvements last year as it went on. He, like Olivia has faced challenges this year, but after week two of being out we are seeing improvements in both him and the steer which is awesome. I also have to give Jake props because he has also been taking care of his sister Barbara's steer while she's been away at college.  He definitely got that one right for her.  Barbara is always my sweet smile, I haven't gotten to spend as much time with her this year, but she always has a warm smile and is so good with the livestock. I am excited that we have added three new students to the group starting with the new year. Caden, who hasn't show cattle before but in the time we have spent together is going to be quite the natural and has a lot of potential.  Tori and Quinton, I am adding to assist with perfecting and making changes as they hit different bench marks in their show careers.

This is the point where I completely melt over this group of kids.  They are building friendships, they are working together, they are sweet and fun to be around.  I don't have kids of my own, but I know that I can only pray mine turn out half as good as this group.

Lesson for this post never give up, never let it get under your skin, just do you.  These kids take on a lot they excel in school, they keep their grades up and many of them it is a stipulation put in place by their parents that in order to attend a show they must keep their grades up. (Thank you to my mom who always pushed us on that front).  At any given point it would be easy for them to "give-up" or say "I can't" (a forbidden term in my world).  They have been defeated in the ring and in the classroom and in life.  They have also had their successes.  It is most important that no matter what happens these kids never give up.  The other challenge that this group faces is that they watch each other in their successes and failures and figure out how to pick each other up.

In 2015 the KALS family will be continuing to grow.  Be sure to watch for www.kalexanderlivestockservices.com to go live. We will be continuing to spotlight this group of kids that have gotten me going, but the future of KALS will be available for viewing.  Come visit us at any of the Ohio BEST shows this winter, and as Birthday's and holidays come up throughout the year remember to give the gift of showmanship coaching in the form of a gift certificate.  In 2015 resolve to become a better showman, call K.A. Livestock Services today!



No comments:

Post a Comment