Thursday, March 20, 2014

Making Dreams Reality

From the time I started 4-H we always set down, made a list of goals we had and projects we were going to take.  There were always dreams of winning this or that, but there were baby steps that had to be taken to get there.  When I started working with kids I did the same thing with them, that my parents had done with me.  I believe that this method keeps everyone from getting burnt out and looking realistically at what one can accomplish in a year. At the start of the new show season last year if someone had told me that the group of kids that I have this year would come as far as they have as fast as they have, I would have told them they were crazy.  Man, would I have been wrong.  Now, there are some shows that you go to, it doesn't matter how well you do all along, all bets are off you flat don't know what is going to happen.  The Ohio Beef Expo, is that show for us usually, at least for me anyway.  Here is where my disclaimer comes: ***I am going to brag on my kids, but it means nothing about me taking more on. It doesn't matter how many kids I have they each have individual goals, and dreams, and ideas of where they want to go with this.*** If I revert to my show career for a moment, I had successfully made the top ten at the Beef Expo, twice (my last two years). I had two breed champion/ reserve breed champions, one in 2003 and one my last year.  It was a dream of mine to win showmanship at the Beef Expo.  My little brother did it, man was I proud.  Jared did it after just one practice session with me, I was amazed.  This weekend Olivia did it, I was completely overcome.  Now, I may never have done it on my own, but watching these kids have the ability and the strengths to do it, makes all those years of feeling completely defeated after the Beef Expo totally worth it. But trust me, there can still only be one winner, and that's what makes it fun.  Hailey, one of my other students, didn't win, but she was in the top ten in her division, huge accomplishment, and wouldn't trade the opportunity to work with her for anything.  My three other girls that didn't make the cut, but have made huge strides in their abilities in the ring, I am so proud of them.  It all goes back to making dreams and goals reality.  We all have different goals, and if we all had the same one there would be a lot of disappointed kids in the show ring.  Does everyone want to win, of course, but when this ones steer is a different style because it is going to a different show than the next one.  Katie, I need to brag on as well.  She is a fifth or sixth year member of our group, she is a freshman in college, and what a role model she is for any kid, but especially my group.  This kid has never let defeat get her down, and she stepped up this year, her last year in 4-H when she could be in cut -throat mode.  This weekend she was cheering on kids that will be her competition, with out a doubt in her mind.  Katie, is a Freshman in a pre-vet program, she was a kid that was raised in town that has taken an opportunity to be involved in 4-H and turned it into a lifestyle, and we couldn't be more proud of her.  All of the kids accomplishments are making my dreams reality, because they are successful, and that is all I want for them.  Whether they are in the classroom, the barn, the ring, on a field, or in life I want them to be happy and successful.  Sometimes it takes years to realize the successes that come from defeats, I saw a glimpse of mine this past weekend, and I couldn't be happier.  Remember 4-H deadlines for Clinton County is April 1st.  We are still accepting paperwork, but it will be going to the office no later than a week from today.  Let us know how we can help you, or your child(rens) dreams reality. Contact me today, I will come talk to 4-H clubs, cattlemen's/ women's organizations, classes, let me know how we can work for you. Happy Thursday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment